Aid in risk stratification of Heart Failure patients
VIDAS® Galectin-3 is used as an aid in assessing the prognosis of patients diagnosed with chronic heart failure.
- First automated Galectin-3 assay
- Helps predict hospital re-admissions and mortality risk
- Enables optimized and personalized patient care
Do you need more information
VIDAS® Galectin-3 is an automated test that quantitatively measures galectin-3 in human serum or plasma using the ELFA (Enzyme-Linked Fluorescent Assay) technique. It is useful as an aid in risk stratification of patients with chronic heart failure (HF). Knowledge of a higher risk for adverse outcomes can help clinicians make the best decisions regarding individual patient management and aggressiveness of therapy.
An innovative biomarker to manage Heart Failure patients
The management of patients with heart failure continues to be a challenge, largely due to the fact that we are dealing with a complex and heterogeneous syndrome which calls for a personalized approach.
Recent studies have shown that there is a distinctly different and progressive form of heart failure associated with elevated blood levels of galectin-3 (1-3). Galectin-3 is a mediator of cardiac fibrogenesis, which leads to development and worsening of heart failure (4).
Measurement of galectin-3 can help better phenotype chronic heart failure patients and identify those with a 2 to 3 times increased risk of re-hospitalization or mortality (1-3) .
As a biomarker of myocardial fibrosis, galectin-3 is recommended for additive risk stratification in patients hospitalized with acute decompensated HF as well as in ambulatory patients with chronic stable HF (5).
Knowing the level of galectin-3, as a surrogate for the extent of fibrosis, can assist in optimization of patient management and selection of the appropriate aggressiveness in treatment options:
Galectin-3 levels & associated risks
Algorithm adapted from McCullough et al. (6)
- Automated and easy-to-use platform
- Ready-to-use reagents
- Rapid result: 20 minutes
- Single-test format
- Limited calibrations and controls (only once a month)
- Protocol compatibility with VIDAS® B.R.A.H.M.S PCT™, VIDAS® NT-proBNP and VIDAS® Troponin I Ultra
- Well demonstrated clinical cut-offs and analytical performances*
- Long shelf life: 12 months
* See package insert for performance details
(1.)Lok DJ, Van Der Meer P, de la Porte PW, et al. Prognostic value of galectin-3, a novel marker of fibrosis, in patients with chronic heart failure: data from the DEAL-HF study. Clin Res Cardiol. 2010;99:323-8.
(2.)de Boer RA, Lok DJ, Jaarsma T, et al. Predictive value of plasma galectin-3 levels in heart failure with reduced and preserved ejection fraction. Ann Med. 2011;43:60-8.
(3.)Felker GM, Fiuzat M, Shaw LK, et al.. Galectin-3 in ambulatory patients with heart failure: results from the HF-ACTION study. Circ Heart Fail. 2012;5:72-8.
(4.)Sharma UC, Pokharel S, van Brakel TJ, et al. Galectin-3 marks activated macrophages in failure-prone hypertrophied hearts and contributes to cardiac dysfunction. Circulation. 2004;110:3121-8.
(5.)Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B, et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. 2013;128:e240-319.
(6.)McCullough PA, Olobatoke A, Vanhecke TE. Galectin-3: a novel blood test for the evaluation and management of patients with heart failure. Rev Cardiovasc Med. 2011;12:200-10.
|Technical specifications for VIDAS® Galectin-3|
|Tests / kit||60|
|Time to result||20 minutes|
|Decisional cut-offs||≤ 17.8 ng/mL “Low risk”
17.8 – 25.9 ng/mL “Intermediate risk”
> 25.9 ng/mL “High risk”
|Sample type||Plasma or serum|
|Sample volume||200 µL|
|Calibration frequency||28 days|
|Shelf life||12 months|
Find more technical details on www.myvidas.com.
Consult your local bioMérieux representative for product availability in your country.
Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B, et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. 2013;128:e240-319.
- Lok et al. Galectin-3 is an independent marker for ventricular remodeling and mortality in patients with chronic heart failure. Clin Res Cardiol. 2013;102:103-10.
- de Boer RA, Edelmann F, Cohen-Solal A, Mamas MA, Maisel A, Pieske B. Galectin-3 in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Eur J Heart Fail. 2013;15:1095-1105.
- Sherwi N et al. Personalizing biomarker strategies in heart failure with galectin-3. Future Cardiol. 2012;8:885-94.
- McCullough et al. Galectin-3: a novel blood test for the evaluation and management of patients with heart failure. Rev Cardiovasc Med. 2011;12:200-10.
- Sharma et al. Galectin-3 marks activated macrophages in failure-prone hypertrophied hearts and contributes to cardiac dysfunction. Circulation. 2004;110:3121-8.
Find more scientific and educational resources on www.myvidas.com.