MALDI TOF automated mass spectrometry microbial identification system
- Microbial identification within minutes
- Easy to use
- Minimal reagents
Do you need more information
With the VITEK® MS MALDI TOF mass spectrometry system, discover the latest technology for microbial identification and get reliable results within minutes.
Extremely fast identification with efficient workflow
Revolutionizing microbial identification with incredibly short time-to-result, the VITEK MS system is extremely easy to use, requires minimal reagents while optimizing workflow.
1 – Pick colony
2 – Direct deposit on the slide
3 – Add ready-to-use CCHA Matrix
4 – Load into VITEK® MS
Get results within minutes !
VITEK® MS target slides have unique barcode, so high traceability is ensured for each sample.
VITEK® MS database : the pillars for high performance
The system database contains a large number of specific microorganisms for the vet, food & pharma industry, increasing identification accuracy.
- Species represented by population : specific species’ characteristics can be revealed
- Average of 18 isolates per species from different fields (clinical, vet, food and pharma) and geographical origins (Asia, America, Europe)
- Average of 40 spectra per species : several culture media and instruments
Benefits of the VITEK® MS identification system
State-of-the-art system, VITEK® MS is the future of microbial identification :
- Extremely short time-to-result: a few minutes for a reliable result
- High throughput : capability to identify up to 192 isolates per run
- Less hands-on time : simpler workflow
- Easy to use : no gram staining and microscopic observation is required
- Fast and flexible method : multiple users can prepare samples simultaneously to save time
- High performing identification : no need to outsource routine identifications to costly laboratories
- Informative and easy to read results
- Traceability : slides are barcoded and software is easy-to-use
For more information and avice on VITEK® MS for veterinary aplications, do not hesitate to use the contact form.
Mass spectrometry for microbial identification : the MALDI-TOF technology
The VITEK® MS system relies on mass spectrometry, an analytical technique which determines the elemental composition of a sample. It is the latest technology for microbial identification.
MALDI-TOF : Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization – Time of Flight analyzer
To perform identification, the sample to be analyzed is mixed with another compound : the matrix. When the mixture is applied to a metal plate and irradiated with a laser, the matrix vaporizes and the sample gains an electrical charge, whose mass-to-charge ratio is measured.
To identify microorganisms, the VITEK® MS:
- Ionizes the sample thanks to matrix and laser reaction
- Uses an electric field to accelerate the ions through the same potential
- Measures the time they take to reach the detector – Time of Flight
- Spectrum is sent and compared to a database
• 337 nm nitrogen laser, fixed focus
• Maximum pulse rate - 50 Hz (50 laser shots per second)
• Near normal (on-axis) incidence of the laser beam to the sample
• Laser power and laser aim under software control
• Linear flight tube of 1.2 m drift length
• Vacuum maintained by two turbomolecular pumps (nominal 250 l/s) with rotary backing
• Beam blanking to deflect unwanted high intensity signals e.g. matrix ions
• Size (w h d) - 0.7 m x 1.92 m x 0.85m, minimum distance to wall at back is 100 mm
• Weight - 330 kg excluding data system
- 200 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase OR
- 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase
• A ‘clean’, stable and continuous mains supply is required for reliable operation
• Temperature - ambient 18° to 26° C
• Relative humidity - less than 70% non condensing
• Vibration free, firm, level floor, at least 330 kg supported at four points
• 1 to 500 kDa
VITEK® MS PLUS
The VITEK® MS PLUS option enables you to :
- Build your very own customized database
- Use this database for your research work